STUDENT CONDUCT & EXPECTATIONS
Students in instrumental music serve as representatives of both the Reagan Educational Center and Clovis Unified at many public extra-curricular functions. Membership in this organization is a privilege and membership may be denied to a student if they believe that they would not positively represent the organization. Individual behavior during an instrumental music function is a reflection of the group. Members will observe all policies set forth by CUSD of Ethics (Click here to view the complete document):
- 24 hours a day/7 days a week/365 days a year
- No drugs, no alcohol, use of weapons, tobacco, etc.
- Community Role Model
In addition, students will observe the following, as they pertain to the instrumental music setting:
- Any behavior, which is not representative of good citizenship, as perceived by the instrumental music staff, may result in the student's dismissal from the activity at hand as well as the program. This also applies to the actions of student leaders in both public and private events.
- All students are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and ethical manner.
- Profanity will not be tolerated at ANY TIME.
- Display of temper, flagrant violation of rules, etc., will not be tolerated.
- No PDA! (Public displays of affection)
- Students will follow directors’ instructions.
- Bullying will not be tolerated: Physical, Verbal, Indirect (Rumors, exclusion), Written (Social Media, Text), etc. and will be dealt with through the REC Student Services Office.
- Students will be in their assigned rehearsal area ready to work at the set rehearsal time with all equipment, including music, pencil, instrument, and all supplies to rehearsals daily (see detailed supply list for each instrument).
- Students will keep hands, feet, and other objects to themselves.
- Students will not use or play on equipment they do not own without permission from a director.
- Students will not touch, handle, borrow, or use anyone else's instrument, uniform, or personal belongings.
- Students will not disturb any rehearsal is in progress (i.e. returning to the Rehearsal Hall when the front ensemble is rehearsing).
- Students will respect the property of others, and return their equipment to its proper storage place when not in use. (Not the Rehearsal Hall floor!)
- Students should keep their equipment in their designated locker and keep their locker and the nearby area clean and neat in appearance.
- Students who demonstrate great difficulty with this may lose the privilege of having a locker in the Rehearsal Hall.
- Instruments & cases should always be lined up by section when at rehearsal.
- Cases should never be left out on the bandroom floor.
- No food in the Rehearsal Hall!
INTERNET & SOCIAL MEDIA ETIQUETTE
- Please remember that you represent our program when posting on Facebook, Instagram, or any other social media. NEVER say anything negative about another music program or a fellow student. Assume that anything you post has the potential to find its way to a director.
- We encourage all students, staff, and parents to participate in our REC Band an Orchestra Facebook groups.
- DO NOT send Facebook friend requests/Facebook messages to any director or staff member. If you need to contact a director or staff member, please use the email addresses provided on the website.
- Do not request to follow staff or directors on Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media.
- You are a student first! (However, it is YOUR responsibility to make sure it doesn’t impact your participation)
- 2.5 GPA & Passing ALL Classes
- Failure to maintain your grades at this level may result in your removal from the performing ensemble or from performing status, at the discretion of the director.
- Manage your time…it gets busy!
- Our rehearsal times are when we start and when we end.
- Arrive early and plan to stay a little late (15 minutes on either side of a rehearsal minimum…more for percussion!)
- No Cell Phones (they have to be in your case or locker)!
- Students should request permission to speak by raising their hand and waiting to be acknowledged.
- All rehearsals are expected to be extremely quiet so that time will be utilized wisely and as efficiently as possible.
- Be prepared with instrument (in working order), music in a black 1” binder inside of plastic sheets, lanyard, dotcards, pencil, and water!
- Treat school owned instruments like it’s your own instrument.
- Places for your instrument: Locker, in your hands, or lined up by section!
- Wear comfortable clothing that is easy to move around in and tennis/running shoes with an arch (no sandals or “skateboarding” shoes).
- Your clothing has a good chance of getting dirty so we recommend not wearing your best clothes.
- Jeans or denim shorts, or heavy shirts or pants are not acceptable as they greatly inhibit movement.
- These rules apply to the front ensemble as well.
- Water is a necessity. Everyone MUST bring their own RED Coleman 1/2 Gallon water jug filled with water to EVERY rehearsal. Write your name on it with a Sharpie!
- Water is not provided at rehearsal.
- Please make sure you fill your cooler before every rehearsal.
- Short breaks will be given periodically while we rehearse.
- Everyone must drink water!
- Water is not provided at rehearsal.
- Check the weather forecast before rehearsal. Often times it is warm (or hot!), but sometimes it can be cold, or all of the above. We rehearse rain or shine!
- Wear sunblock! (30+ SPF). Even if you think you are invincible to the sun.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses. You will be able to rehearse MUCH better with out the sun in your eyes or pounding down on your head.
- Guard & Percussion: Your participation is a FULL year commitment (Fall AND Winter Season. Preparation for the winter season begins during the fall season.
- Student Commitment: Please DO NOT withdraw your student’s participation as a punishment for undesired behavior. This punishes the entire ensemble, wastes rehearsal time as we adjust the show or performance, and creates extra work for the staff who now have to address the open spot in the show. Our expectations for our student behavior extend well beyond the program and we are happy to work with you to achieve the desired behavior from the student.
- Video Recording: Do not record, share, distribute, or post videos of our performances on the internet by any other means at any time. The video or audio recording of any performance is against United States Copyright Laws. We will share professional quality videos on the members page of our website.
- A few more requests:
- To protect the rehearsal environment for our students, rehearsals are closed to the public (including parents).
- Please wait for your student in the outside of bandroom before after/events.
- Avoid the area of the band truck when the students are loading.
- Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
- Issue or Concern?
- Please send us an email or give us a call to discuss your concern and we will be happy to address it to the best of our ability.
- Please do not approach our instructional staff before or after a rehearsal as they are very busy at those times.